Skip to main content

Booing

I see there has been more booing at The ROH production of Maria Stuarda.  I always wonder why it is that audiences boo.  Opera audiences can get extremely cross about interpretations of their favourite operas, especially the classics. I don't really want to address why they do that - a whole other discussion is need for that - but am more concerned with the need, the irresistible urge even, to be outraged by a director's interpretation and to give voice to that frustration. Personally, I think diminutive, faux-polite applause is far more withering an expression of opinion. Booing is of course our favourite expression of disgust or disapproval. The pantomime booing of Scarpia or any other "bad guy" during curtain calls, followed quickly by the rise in amplitude of applause as a sort of "nah, we were only joking, you were great" is standard practice now it seems, so booing isn't always angry.

Having said that, I don't think I have ever heard a chorus of boos at OHP. Perhaps the odd bovine expression from the back of the house. If the audience don't like something or have a particular disregard for the production they tend to just reduce the intensity of their clapping as the artistic team take their bows on first night. Then they write letters.

Booing is an odd thing really. It is the individual saying "I am not fooled by any of this, the rest of you may be cheering and clapping but I'm having none of it" and as such, is a form of impolite arrogance. The booer wants the rest of us happy clappers to know that we are idiots and have been duped and will disregard the performance of singers and everybody else in order to let us know that what has been done to a favoured opera transcends anything else - he or she refuses to see beyond this standard view.  

If I had a pound for every person who telephoned me in a spluttering rage to complain about one production or other I would be a wealthy man but it is always an interesting opportunity to discuss the person's approach to opera-going. Quite often they will start with the words "the singing and the playing were wonderful, but..." Sometimes they even get their complaint in before they have visited the show; a patron wrote to me saying that he had seen the paintings (we regularly commission to illustrate our operas) and for Forza del Destino he had noticed there were Kalashikov rifles in the image and there was no way he was going to see a production like that. I think he relented when I explained that in fact the guns depicted were original period Spanish pistols.  

Oddly, some of our most acclaimed productions have been met with opprobrium which just goes to prove the old adage about opinions and fundaments. I recall a piqued looking lady outside of the theatre before the second performance of our highly praised  2003 production of Fidelio and on enquiry discovered she was selling her ticket because her friend had told her it was "modern". But my favourite is probably  the email, at 7am on the morning after our 2008 Tosca first night, when a High Court judge (he had taken the trouble to advise me of that) complained bitterly that not only was it the worst production of Tosca he had ever seen but it was the worst production of ANY opera he had ever seen. Furthermore his companion, who was Italian, agreed with him.  I don't know if he booed but his splenetic email suggested he wanted to. In fact, Franco Zeffirelli issued forth loudly in condemnation of that production in Corriera della Sera and he hadn't even seen it!  Of course, we know that the production went on to be praised almost universally in the highest possible terms.

There is something reassuring about the strength of feeling people have for opera and we should never dismiss it - ever - but I do wish people would just vote with their feet rather than making everybody else in the house feel as though their appreciation or otherwise of a performance is worthless. 

Comments

  1. You like it, you clap and cheer. For some, you don't like it, you boo. You do that to show what you feel not, I'm sure, to pass a message on to those who are clapping. Personally, I think booing is the height of bad manners but then I'm English!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Gelb and The Met

Having posted a piece that was kind to critics and thus risking opprobrium from all quarters, I suppose I ought to be wary of writing a piece that is sympathetic to the current opera demon, Peter Gelb.  Let us be clear, I don't know what the detailed financial situation at the Met is, I don't know how its budgets are split and allocated, I don't know how much they spend on sets and productions. I just read selective figures used negatively and that is always something we should be wary of.  What Gelb and the Met are going through is probably entirely unique in the opera world given the scale of economics involved and the accusations of mismanagement that are being thrown around are hard to reconcile with some of the realities; it is certainly true, for example, that Gelb has taken the Met's turnover from $222 million to over $300 million in eight years which doesn't immediately suggest mismanagement, but that is as glib and superficial an analysis as anything else I

Honorary Doctorate acceptance speech

I have been asked for the text of my acceptance speech from the graduation ceremony at Oxford Brookes University, 20th June, 2016. The audience was 170 graduates, in various arts, performing, publishing and other creative disciplines, as well as hundreds of their family members. My intention was to confirm that in an age of undervalued arts education, their choices were the correct ones; that despite the prevailing desire of the government for more engineers, mathematicians and computer experts, their talents would come to be as valued as any others. ----------- It is with great surprise and pleasure that I come here today to accept this honorary doctorate, the giving of which is met with more pride than I can actually express. To be recognised by an academic institution is not something I ever thought possible as I grew up. My two oldest children have achieved far more than I have in academia, but, as a competitive Dad I just want to say to them…erm, Doctor?! I am also honoured

Sometimes, facts really don't matter to people

Since the Brexit vote, and especially since the recent Autumn statement, there has been something familiar nagging at me; the remarkable refusal of Brexiters to accept or acknowledge the facts set out by the government and in the OBR's forecasts. It reminds me of something, a feeling I have had before. I know that the expression post-truth annoys a lot of people, but it is a thing, it really exists. People, for whatever reason can knowingly refuse to accept bare facts when it suits them. It isn't a new phenomenon at all. I am bound to say, moreover, that I have tended to experience it in a malign sense, when the things people want to believe are unconscionable or driven by prejudice of one kind or another. Last night I remembered where it was that I had last seen the phenomenon and it was an experience that left me astonished at the time, but which also provoked in me a genuine disgust for my fellow citizens. I am afraid it is an unpleasant parallel scenario, but it was pro